Admittedly a sexist interpretation in today’s terminology, I offer this idealized model of how men think about the females’ most valued institution.
· Marriage provides frequent and convenient access to sex in exchange for his independence.
· By her taking his name, she adds confidence to his belief in her fidelity.
· He’ll let her dominate the shaping of their future life, if she accepts him dominating the shaping of their present day life.
· He expects to be as faithful as he always has been to promises, commitments, and vows. If the woman he chooses lives up to his marital expectations, no reason exists for infidelity.
· She has responsibility for infants and toddlers in the weans. He’ll help, but he’ll do much more in the tweens.
· In the teens, kids are pretty much on their own until problems arise.
· He determines the home and family domains for which he is and will be responsible. He needs no interference, but she can help if done his way. All other domains are hers.
· She’s the nest builder, and he’s much like a consultant advising on comfort and harmony.