In addition to being born pretty, females’ are blessed with another primal conviction that weakens male dominance. Each female possesses conviction about her personal sensitivities and sensibilities; we commonly call it modesty. Someone else describes it better than I ever could, and I urge all mothers and prospective mothers to read her book. Return to Modesty by Wendy Shalit impressed me more than any other book about female nature. The subtitle Discovering the Lost Virtue cites the relevance for men.
Though dramatically outdone by Wendy, I shall offer some thoughts for tying men to female modesty. If you can’t or don’t read her masterpiece, although not a summary let these points marinate in your heart and mind so deeply contaminated by the feminized culture.
- Women begin life with a deep sense of modesty. As girls or women, violations cause embarrassment. Men are born immodest but respectful of female differences. Except for those they disdain or seek to demean, men try to do better when they encounter a superior trait. Men consider distinctly female traits as superior to the degree they are upheld against the pressures of masculine infringement or male dominance.
- Males don’t embarrass easily and don’t like it when they are embarrassed. Consequently, they learn early in life that females are very different and have much higher standards and different sensibilities than males. It’s precisely that difference combined with many others that earn masculine respect.
- Men don’t embarrass themselves, and they don’t feel good when they accidentally embarrass a female. Oh, they grin or laugh or maybe even plan her discomfort. (Teasing pretty women makes them prettier.) However, men adjust their behavior in the future, if she reflects deep and sincere modesty. If she sticks to her guns. Men respect her if she continually refuses to accept offense to her sense of modesty, dignity, and feminine propriety.
- Some males seek to embarrass females. Especially, adolescent males try to learn about life through one girl. They seek to conquer her inhibitions, standards, and expectations. Conquering her modesty produces effects not unlike conquering her for sex. She loses his respect, if she ever had it. As she becomes more like a male and weans herself from embarrassing moments, she becomes less respectable to him.
- As they grow up some females water down their modest instincts to be more acceptable to males. They give up that precious virtue and darken their own futures. Others choose to defend modesty standards and uphold the superior position of females in society. The latter ones have little difficulty gaining masculine respect, which is that ever so vital ingredient that precedes a man’s love.
- Modesty empowers females with a dynamic obstruction to hold back the entreaties of a dominating male, so why try so hard to ignore it? Feminists may find immodesty appealing, but how respectable are they to men; at least men with the capability and inclination to become a lifetime Mr. Right?
God, Nature, and hormones bless men and women differently. Modesty gives females their most powerful subliminal ‘weapon’ for holding in check the behavior of males. Wendy Shalit describes it much more thoroughly in Return to Modesty.