We’ve known for centuries that the love of money is the root of all evil. I’ve not recognized until now how the love of mankind is the root of all good.
It matters not whether you believe either the randomness of Nature or intent of God makes people like they are. Mankind from birth fits in the description below. I believe and will therefore lean toward original design as opposed to random development.
To start simple, I imagine that two distinct genders exited the Garden of Eden with the qualities and abilities we see in people today. Each individual is born able to DO good. However, each has weakness for assimilating lessons from life that often produce bad or evil in lieu of good. Free will enables but doesn’t cause it.
The sexes are born to be very different for the purpose of being compatible as mates. Most gender differences make us compatible and help hold couples together. OTOH, gender sameness leads to excess competition, insufficient cooperation, irresolvable responsibility, boredom, or all of the above.
The following roots of mankind encourage people to produce good in their respective worlds.
- Personalities often get in the way, but the genders are made to be compatible as mates. Women need or strongly desire a physically stronger someone they can depend on to help fill the needs they foresee in the future. Men don’t need a mate, can easily find ways to avoid permanent entanglements, and usually mate only after one woman convinces them of the benefits and enjoyment of merging their interests. Thus, women are easily compatible but men need to be conditioned, trained, domesticated, and convinced of the benefits that mating adds to masculine life.
- Women are born to be happy, but they have to earn it over time by finding more people and things in their lives for which they are grateful. Men are born to be satisfied but they also have to earn it, which they do daily at their work and jobs. (On arrival home he grabs beer and clicker, while she continues to brighten her future by working until bedtime. They are made that way. Big difference: He has a general idea what he may or may not do tomorrow; he figures he can handle whatever comes up. She works out all the details for tomorrow while living out today; she seeks to be in control of all her tomorrows. Their natures in action differ that much.)
- Both genders are born to DO good but differently. Women are born to BE good, sense guilt if they’re not, and DO good for self-satisfaction or to prevent or eliminate guilt. Men have little or no incentive to BE good but are highly capable to DO good. However, men have little or no incentive without pressure imposed by women. As men comply with pressure and DO good, women enjoy the benefits, see that men can BE good, and take credit for having thus inspired their own mate. (You’ve heard my favorite example: Men conquered the American West. They tamed it because their women demanded a more civilized existence.)
- Women are relationship experts, but men haven’t a clue. God created two highly competitive genders. The dominant is physically stronger, consists of seemingly immovable objects, and lacks concern for well-functioning relationships with the opposite gender. The physically weaker gender consists of dynamic irresistible forces empowered with special relationship expertise. It enables women to patiently and indirectly move the immovable objects in such ways that women and children benefit. IOW, relationship experts lead and men acquiesce. As women go, so goes society. (As relationships go, women accept credit when due but pass any blame to men. It’s easy to do but can trigger abandonment, when women use blame or guilt to make men more responsible. It’s anathema to the masculine nature regardless of what such women think they deserve.)
- Two conquerors face off in life. She seeks to BE good with marriage before yielding sex. He seeks frequent and convenient access to sex without future obligation and especially not having to marry. Women need to win this main battle of the sexes because it’s so critical to their greatest need—a brighter future. His respect for her grows with her ability to protect her sexual assets against his conquering expertise. He respects a tough competitor and he loves no woman he doesn’t respect.
- All of the above is made more complex and complicated by one simple difference between the sexes: She has one sex drive and he has two.
Part II will cover respect, guilt, and their very different but highly compatible time focus.